HomeNewsBoko Haram burn down trucks conveying fish in Borno

Boko Haram burn down trucks conveying fish in Borno

Boko Haram burn down trucks conveying fish in Borno

Suspected Boko Haram/Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) fighters have intercepted and set ablaze three trucks loaded with fish at Mile-Forty in Magumeri Local Government Area of Borno State.

Truck drivers told Daily Trust the attack occurred at about 1:00pm on Thursday, February 19, as they were transporting fish to Maiduguri.

A security source said the drivers narrowly escaped. “Thank God that all the drivers escaped but the three vehicles: two Peugeot J5 and a school bus loaded with fish were burnt down,” the source said.

One of the drivers, who asked not to be named, described the ordeal. “We parked the vehicles and ran into the bush. Thank God we all made it alive but I watched helplessly as the only means of my livelihood got burnt to ashes. Tell the government to do something on that road. Before, they used to abduct people and demand ransom from families, but they frequently intercept vehicles these days to loot and burn them down,” he said.

The driver called on the federal government and security agencies to deploy troops along the road to safeguard lives and property.

The latest attack comes days after insurgents reportedly intercepted four trailers loaded with cows on their way to Maiduguri from Monguno on February 10, 2026. More than 100 cows were allegedly stolen and the vehicles set on fire.

Four days earlier, another convoy of four trucks conveying beans from Monguno to Maiduguri was blocked and burnt at Garin Kashim in Guzamala Local Government Area. Truck drivers plying the route have complained about inadequate security presence, which they say has emboldened insurgents to carry out repeated attacks.

“It has become a daily occurrence now and no action has been taken. From Maiduguri, one can only find a military checkpoint at Gajaganna, Gajiram, and the new one in Mairari, then Monguno.

“Unless the government takes this seriously, livestock and grain businesses that begin to thrive in those areas would soon collapse. Because, we can no longer risk our lives and vehicles on that road,” another driver said.

He urged authorities to fortify the route in a similar manner to the Gwoza axis, where soldiers have been strategically stationed to deter attacks.

“Many truck owners have now withdrawn their vehicles from this road. These things kept happening and no action has been taken so far,” he added. Security agencies have yet to issue an official statement on the latest incident.

Don't miss out!
JOIN OUR NEWSYPEOPLE COMMUNITY!

Our newsletter gives you access to a curated selection of the most important stories daily.

Invalid email address
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or Email: [email protected]
Copyright © 2024 Newsypeople.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Newsypeople.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Newsypeople.com.
RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -




Verified by MonsterInsights