Married at First Sight UK could face a police investigation after multiple women featured on the programme made allegations of s3xual assault and misconduct involving their on-screen partners. The allegations were detailed in the BBC Panorama documentary The Dark Side of Married at First Sight, which aired on BBC on Monday night.
One woman, identified anonymously as “Lizzie” and portrayed by an actress, alleged that she was r@ped by her on-screen husband and later threatened after the incident. According to the documentary, she claimed the man threatened to “get someone to throw acid at” her if she spoke publicly about the alleged attack.
Lawyers representing the man have denied all allegations made against him. A second woman, referred to as “Chloe,” alleged that she experienced suicidal thoughts after telling programme bosses she had been r@ped during filming.
She claimed that after initially engaging in consensual s3x with her on-screen husband, he allegedly continued after she told him to stop. According to Chloe, the man later said to her: “You’re making me feel like a r@pist.”
Speaking in the documentary, Chloe said: “After I left the show I felt I had completely lost my grip and I had intrusive thoughts of my own death. And then when the show went out that really intensified into suicidal thoughts, which is not something I had ever thought of before. It was frightening,” she added.
Lawyers representing Chloe’s on-screen husband reportedly challenged aspects of her account. Former contestant Shona Manderson also appeared in the documentary and accused her on-screen partner Bradley Skelly of s3xual misconduct.
Manderson alleged Skelly ejaculated inside her without her consent and said she later underwent an abortion. She also claimed relationship experts working on the programme had separately raised concerns about what she described as controlling behaviour by her partner.
Speaking on BBC Breakfast, UK Security Minister Dan Jarvis described the allegations as “shocking and deeply concerning. I’m extremely concerned to hear about these allegations,” Jarvis said.
He added that the “very serious nature” of the claims meant there would likely be a police investigation. “These are shocking and deeply concerning allegations, and of course they must be very thoroughly investigated,” he stated.
Following the documentary’s broadcast, all episodes of Married at First Sight UK were reportedly removed from Channel 4’s streaming platform. Reports also indicated that Channel 4 and production company CPL Productions held emergency internal discussions after the programme aired.
According to reports, staff connected to the production were instructed not to speak publicly or post on social media about the allegations. Channel 4 and CPL defended the programme’s welfare procedures, saying their safeguarding protocols were “robust and comprehensive.”
The broadcaster also stated that the allegations aired in the documentary were “wholly uncorroborated and disputed.” The controversy has raised fresh questions about welfare and safeguarding standards within reality television productions in the UK.
