Nigeria’s sprinting crisis has taken another damaging turn as United States–based speedster, Favour Ashe has officially switched his international allegiance to Qatar, citing poor treatment, weak athlete welfare and a broken athletics system back home.
Ashe, a two-time Nigerian national champion, Commonwealth Games medallist and the country’s fastest sprinter in recent times with a personal best of 9.79 seconds, confirmed the decision in a recent interview, confirming that he is done with Nigerian athletics and has begun a “new life” in Qatar.
Ashe’s exit follows a worrying trend.
In 2025, one of Nigeria’s top sprinters, Favour Ofili, switched allegiance to Turkey, citing ill treatment by officials of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria during the Olympic Games in Paris.
“Why I Dumped Nigeria for Qatar” – Favour Ashe
Explaining the reasons behind his decision, Ashe insisted his move was not meant to disrespect Nigeria but to protect his career and dignity as an athlete.
“This is not to rubbish what Nigeria has done for us over the years, but I must say some of the people managing our sports do not human feelings,” Ashe said.
“Last year, I decided to take part in the National Sports Festival.”
“I thought my presence was to add colour to the event, but it turned out to be a wrong decision based on the way and manner the people treated me.”
The sprinter revealed he felt humiliated and unwanted, describing the experience as a turning point.
“It was like I was just begging to be part of Nigeria athletics. That is wrong. You don’t threat people that way and expect the best from them.”
Abeokuta Disqualification That Broke the Camel’s Back
Ashe was particularly embittered by his disqualification from the 100m final at the National Sports Festival in Abeokuta, where he represented Team Delta, an incident he believes symbolised the deeper problems within Nigerian athletics.
He also highlighted the lack of quality training infrastructure as a major setback.
“Beside, taking my athletics to Nigeria was a bit setback.”
“I was struggling to meet up in everything in training because the track was not up to standard,” he explained.
“Now, I have completed my study in the United States, and I can no longer make use of the College facilities for training.”
“I just have to move.”
Five Months in Qatar and ‘Greener Pastures’
Ashe revealed he has already spent five months in Qatar, where he was surprised by the number of Nigerian athletes training under the country’s programme.
“I have been in Qatar for the past five months, and I was surprised with the number of young Nigerian athletes I found training with Qatar,” he said.
He believes the Middle Eastern nation is deliberately building a powerful sprint squad.
“I am very sure we will form a formidable 4x100m relays team for Qatar.”
“Nigeria Will Soon Be Hit by an Exodus” – Favour Ashe
The sprinter contrasted Nigeria’s approach with the professionalism he has experienced in Qatar, revealing that the Qatar Athletics Federation has already placed him on an international training programme.
“The Qatar federation is taking us to South Africa to begin our season there. This is something Nigeria has never done since I began my athletics career,” Ashe said.
“I so much cherish this opportunity.”
Ashe has warned and predicted a wave of departures that could further weaken Nigeria’s sprint depth ahead of major global competitions.
“There are many young Nigerians in the Qatari team training for the Olympics and they are well catered for,” he said.
“Those who have the opportunity to leave are not looking back; soon Nigeria would be hit by an exodus of athletes.”
“Some are even ready to run for other African countries that can offer them good compensation and opportunity to compete all year round in events that appeal to them.”
Another Nigerian Joins the Switch to Qatar
Ashe is not alone. Sunday Akintan, who recently clocked 6.48 seconds indoors, has also reportedly switched allegiance to Qatar as part of plans to assemble a fearsome 4x100m relay team anchored by Nigerian-born sprinters.
Reports also suggest that several home-based athletes, including some expected to be in national camp are considering similar moves.
Nigeria Loses, Qatar Gains
With Ashe yet to open his 2026 season, Nigeria now risks losing another medal prospect at a critical time, while Qatar strengthens its sprint arsenal.
It also remains unclear whether the sprinter is among athletes who received training grants from the National Sports Commission (NSC) this year.
World Athletics is yet to publicly confirm Ashe’s transfer, as the governing body does not disclose athlete identities while nationality-switch applications are ongoing.



