A single father-of-two has been left homeless and jobless in the UK thanks to the Covid-19 pandemic as he works endlessly to secure a flight home to A
A single father-of-two has been left homeless and jobless in the UK thanks to the Covid-19 pandemic as he works endlessly to secure a flight home to Australia.
Scott Walker, originally from the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, had been working overseas for years when he won a custody battle in September to bring his 13-year-old daughter and 11-year-old son back to Australia.
But the family have been repeatedly rejected from repatriation flights and are currently stranded in coronavirus-riddled London – and he has revealed the Australian government has been of no help.
To make matters worse, Mr Walker lost his job in the midst of the pandemic and the family were forced to stay with friends because he couldn’t afford rent.
Mr Walker was so desperate to get home that he even considered spending $50,000 on an economy flight for him and his two kids.
Scott Walker, originally from the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, is currently stranded in the UK with his 13-year-old daughter and 11-year-old son (pictured)
‘It’s been endless for months — literally every day I am on the phone to probably every airline on the planet that flies from the UK to anyway that might hop me home,’ he told the ABC.
The stress took such a toll that his children became physically sick.
He said he applied for a repatriation flight within hours of them being offered but was denied.
When he registered for assistance from the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs, he said he was let down again.
‘The flight assistance was giving me the general public number for Emirates (Airlines) and telling me to contact family and friends for help. That was their help,’ Mr Walker said.
Mr Walker said his children were so stressed about being stranded in the UK that they had fallen physically ill
Mr Walker has set up a place to live, work and a school for his kids once they finally return to Australia.
The family now have plans to fly to Singapore and then to Perth on Saturday.
However, NSW, Queensland and WA have halved the cap on international arrivals and Singapore has suspended many flights from the UK – leaving Mr Walker doubtful they will be allowed to leave.
‘There are people who are in dire situations where they are jobless, homeless and they just need to come home to friends and family and be looked after by a government that is supposed to look after its citizens,’ Mr Walker said.
It was announced last week that caps would be placed on the arrivals until mid-February in attempts to stop the spread of a highly contagious UK strain of the virus.
All international arrivals will need to supply a negative test before flying.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted DFAT for comment.
The single father said he even considered paying $50,000 for a one-way economy flight to Australia in order to bring his kids home