A hearing into allegations that Channel 7 star Ryan Phelan (left) assaulted Chelsea Franklin (right) inside their $2 million home in June
The dance teacher girlfriend of TV star Ryan Phelan says she does not know where their relationship stands, despite a court being told she will give evidence against him at a hearing later this year.
Phelan, 45, did not appear in Manly Local Court on Tuesday as a hearing date was set for his alleged assault on Chelsea Franklin, 44, inside their $2million home on June 30.
The court heard that Ms Franklin will take to the stand on December 22 to give evidence and is expected to allege that Phelan allegedly grabbed her around the neck and chest.
He then allegedly dragged her across a room of their house and ‘threw’ her to the ground, she claims.
The alleged assault came just days after Phelan lost his job as the host of Channel 7 afternoon program The Daily Edition.
Ms Franklin on Tuesday told Daily Mail Australia she and Phelan had only spoken on a few occasions since the alleged incident, and that those conversations had been via text message.
Ms Franklin (left) on Tuesday told Daily Mail Australia she and Phelan (right) had spoken on just a few occasions since the alleged incident, and that those conversations had been over text
Phelan’s solicitor Claudette Chua (left) appeared on his behalf in Manly Local Court on Tuesday where the prosecution indicated Ms Franklin and the officer in charge of the case would be the only two witnesses at the December 22 hearing
‘There’s been a couple of texts here and there but he hasn’t really asked to see how I was, it was more just household stuff because we have a house together,’ she said.
‘We were meant to have a conversation after (court) today but I don’t know if that is going to happen.
‘(I’ve been) playing out every scenario in my head, but until I have that conversation with him I don’t really know where I stand.
‘I never asked to be in this situation. It’s a situation no one wants to be in I think.’
During Tuesday’s brief hearing of the matter, the police prosecutor indicated that Ms Franklin and the police officer in charge of the case would be the only two witnesses called come December 22.
Phelan last faced court on June 30 and pleaded not guilty to two assault charges. An interim apprehended violence order (AVO) taken out by NSW Police remains in place.
In their application to a court for the AVO, police alleged Phelan and Ms Franklin had returned early from a holiday in the Hunter Valley on Saturday, June 20.
The pair had an argument with each other over the ‘quality of their accommodation’.
When they got home, Ms Franklin claimed Phelan was in a ‘cold’ mood toward her and ignored her for the rest of the day.
Court documents said Ms Franklin then confronted Phelan in the downstairs area of their $2million Frenchs Forest home about 5.15pm. She began throwing records from his music collection on the floor.
The police application said: ‘(Ms Franklin) picked up one of the defendant’s music records from a shelf and said: “It seems like you care more about these records than me”.
The alleged assault came just days after Phelan lost his job as the host of Channel 7 afternoon program The Daily Edition (Phelan is pictured with former co-host Sally Obermeder)
Sources claim Phelan was watching the football on TV at the time.
The AVO application alleged Ms Franklin then threw the ‘records’ on the ground and Phelan approached her.
‘(Ms Franklin) alleges the defendant grabbed her around the chest and neck area, placing her in a hold and dragged her across the room before throwing her to the ground.’
The court document alleges she felt ‘immediate pain to her neck and collarbone area’ and ‘sustained bruising to the shoulder and chest area’.
‘(Phelan) said to (Ms Franklin) ‘this is my house, you f***ing get out’ before the defendant walked off to the kitchen,’ the documents claim.
Ms Franklin allegedly then collected her belongings and went to police with her teenage daughter, where it is claimed she was seen ‘visibly shaking and in tears’.
Phelan was later charged with assault occasioning bodily harm and common assault. He ’emphatically’ denies both charges.
The alleged assault came just two days after Phelan was told he was being made redundant by Seven and that the show he co-hosted with Sally Obermeder was being axed.
Phelan was granted conditional bail a week ago and an interim apprehended violence order is in place with standard conditions banning him from approaching her.
Outside court in June, Phelan’s solicitor Ms Chua (pictured) claimed the allegations against her client were ‘false’ and described them as ‘unhelpful to women everywhere’
TIMELINE: RYAN PHELAN CHARGES
June 19: Seven announce The Daily Edition will be axed, Phelan sacked
June 20: Alleged incident occurs between 5.15pm and 5.25pm at Frenchs Forest home
June 22: Phelan is charged by police
June 29: Phelan lawyer issues statement saying he ’emphatically denies’ assaulting Ms Franklin
June 30: Phelan pleads not guilty to the charges
August 11: Next court date
Outside court in June, Phelan’s solicitor Claudette Chua claimed the allegations against her client were ‘false’.
She told a large crowd of reporters that her client had been cooperating with the police investigation.
‘Mr Phelan has been cooperating with police,’ she said.
‘He respects and understands that the police, and the courts, have an obligation to take any allegation of domestic violence very seriously.
‘False allegations of domestic violence are extremely serious, they result in the total unacceptable victimisation of the accused person, and they also are unhelpful to women everywhere.’
Daily Mail Australia understands one of the grounds Phelan’s lawyers will use to argued he is not guilty in court will be self-defence.
Phelan is yet to respond fully to the allegations in court.
Court documents said he had no history of violence or criminal record.
He has been granted conditional bail to live with a friend.
Phelan has enlisted former Crown prosecutor and barrister Margaret Cunneen SC to represent him at a future hearing.