- Advertisement -
Home News Stories Mother of Charlie Gard is 'nervous but excited' for the imminent birth...

Mother of Charlie Gard is ‘nervous but excited’ for the imminent birth of her second child

- Advertisement -

Cradling her impressive bump, Connie Yates is ‘nervous but excited’ about becoming a parent for a second time with her partner Chris Gard.

Tomorrow will be exactly four years since their son Charlie was born – only for them to lose him before his first birthday.

Charlie’s tragic fight gripped the world after he was born with a rare condition. He died in July 2017 aged 11 months after his parents lost an extraordinary court battle against the medical system to keep him alive.

Already the unborn infant is estimated to weigh a bouncing 9lb, according to a recent scan

Already the unborn infant is estimated to weigh a bouncing 9lb, according to a recent scan

Tomorrow will be exactly four years since their son Charlie (pictured) was born – only for them to lose him before his first birthday

Tomorrow will be exactly four years since their son Charlie (pictured) was born – only for them to lose him before his first birthday

Now, his baby brother is expected to arrive any day soon. Already the unborn infant is estimated to weigh a bouncing 9lb, according to a recent scan.

Miss Yates, 34, said: ‘He’s certainly ready to come out.

‘Charlie was our first child, so like any new parents, we didn’t really know what to expect. This time we are more aware of the things that can go wrong, and so it is hard not to worry.

‘I’m definitely more nervous and excited than before. I was determined not to be a worrier, and to enjoy the pregnancy, and I have, but of course it is impossible not to be scared sometimes.’

Pictured: The new baby's 20-week scan taken July 24 this year. He was tested inside the womb and, to the enormous relief of his parents, was declared free of the syndrome

Pictured: The new baby’s 20-week scan taken July 24 this year. He was tested inside the womb and, to the enormous relief of his parents, was declared free of the syndrome

Care worker Miss Yates, of Bedfont, south-west London, added: ‘Right now, he’s safe, in my tummy. I’ll be terrified when he comes out, and takes his first breath, until I know everything is OK.’

During Charlie’s short life, there were interventions by the Pope and US President Donald Trump, but eventually his life support was switched off and he succumbed to mitochondrial depletion syndrome – a rare genetic condition which saps energy from the organs.

Agonisingly, Baby Gard No 2 – so far unnamed – stood a one in four chance of being born with the same devastating illness.

But he was tested inside the womb and, to the enormous relief of his parents, was declared free of the syndrome.

Postman Mr Gard, 36, said: ‘The day Charlie was born was the best day of my life. I was, and am, so proud of him’

Postman Mr Gard, 36, said: ‘The day Charlie was born was the best day of my life. I was, and am, so proud of him’

Postman Mr Gard, 36, said: ‘The day Charlie was born was the best day of my life. I was, and am, so proud of him.’

He added: ‘It may sound silly but I can’t help worry about what will happen when his brother comes along – will I feel guilty to imagine Charlie looking down on us, being a happy family, so in love with his little sibling?

Cradling her impressive bump, Connie Yates is ‘nervous but excited’ about becoming a parent for a second time with her partner Chris Gard

Cradling her impressive bump, Connie Yates is ‘nervous but excited’ about becoming a parent for a second time with her partner Chris Gard

‘I know how that sounds, but until I meet the new baby, I do struggle with this thought. I know it’s all in my own head, and I’m sure as soon as I see him it will all be fine.’

Miss Yates said: ‘He talks to the baby bump all the time, telling him the things we’re looking forward to – just the simple things people take for granted, like birthdays and going on a family holiday.’

Mr Gard added: ‘Sometimes I forget he’s only just behind a thin wall of skin, and speak a bit loudly – he jumped once.

‘We know we are very lucky. We lost a baby, but we have been given a second chance, and not everybody gets that.

‘We’re really excited, but obviously anxious too. It’s a scary time. We just know how incredibly loved this baby will be.’ 

Tragic case of Charlie Gard which saw the 11-month-old boy die after a lengthy court battle over treatment

The high-profile and tragic case of Charlie Gard saw the 11-month-old boy die after a lengthy court battle over his treatment for a rare inherited disease.

His parents Connie Yates and Chris Gard wanted to take him to the US for an experimental treatment and raised £1.3million in public donations to pay for it.

But a High Court judge ruled the treatment was not in his best interests after doctors from Great Ormond Street Hospital warned there was no evidence it would succeed, and that Charlie had suffered severe brain damage.

Charlie Gard died after a court battle over his treatment for a rare inherited disease

Charlie Gard died after a court battle over his treatment for a rare inherited disease

His genetic condition – infantile onset encephalomyopathy mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome – sapped energy from his muscles and left him unable to move or breathe unaided.

But Charlie’s parents, from Bedfont in South West London, insisted he continued to respond to them.

During their court battle, Mr Gard poignantly brought one of his son’s cuddly toys to each hearing. Charlie died last July, shortly before his first birthday.

Miss Yates and Mr Gard later set up a foundation to use the donated money to help other youngsters with mitochondrial diseases or rare childhood illnesses.

Advertisement

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

16,985FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe

Must Read

Nurse Naomi Cook and Australians for Safe Technology leader explains why she links 5G to coronavirus

A nurse who believes in a bizarre conspiracy theory that 5G mobile phone technology is spreading coronavirus leads a dangerous movement that has seen...
- Advertisement -

Victorian towns plunged into lockdown despite never recording a COVID-19 case

Four regional local government areas in Victoria have never identified a single case of coronavirus - but are now facing a strict Stage 3...

St Basil’s Homes for Aged in Fawkner, Melbourne didn’t report staff member who contracted COVID-19

A Melbourne nursing home linked at least 20 coronavirus deaths has been accused of failing to report an infected staff member to federal regulators.St...

Brazilian mother-of-one, 33, stabbed to death in western Sydney

Daiane Pelegrini (pictured) was stabbed to death in western Sydney on MondayA Brazilian mum-of-one who...

Related News

Nurse Naomi Cook and Australians for Safe Technology leader explains why she links 5G to coronavirus

A nurse who believes in a bizarre conspiracy theory that 5G mobile phone technology is spreading coronavirus leads a dangerous movement that has seen...

Victorian towns plunged into lockdown despite never recording a COVID-19 case

Four regional local government areas in Victoria have never identified a single case of coronavirus - but are now facing a strict Stage 3...

St Basil’s Homes for Aged in Fawkner, Melbourne didn’t report staff member who contracted COVID-19

A Melbourne nursing home linked at least 20 coronavirus deaths has been accused of failing to report an infected staff member to federal regulators.St...

Brazilian mother-of-one, 33, stabbed to death in western Sydney

Daiane Pelegrini (pictured) was stabbed to death in western Sydney on MondayA Brazilian mum-of-one who...

Streets launches strawberry milkshake Paddle Pop

Australian ice-cream brand Streets has quietly launched a new strawberry milkshake-flavoured Paddle Pops Australian ice-cream brand...
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here