- Advertisement -
Home Australia Prince Joachim of Denmark will have no lasting physical injuries after suffering...

Prince Joachim of Denmark will have no lasting physical injuries after suffering blood clot in brain

- Advertisement -

Prince Joachim of Denmark will not suffer any long-term effects after undergoing surgery for a blood clot in his brain, the royal palace has reported. 

On Friday the 51-year-old son of Queen Margrethe, who is sixth in line to the throne, was rushed to Toulouse University Hospital in France, where he was immediately operated on.

The procedure was ‘successful’ and the prince’s condition was said to be stable, while his wife Princess Marie, 44, remains by his hospital bedside, according to a Royal Court statement. 

Lene Balleby, a spokeswoman for the royal household, said in an official statement yesterday: ‘The blood clot in the brain was due to a sudden dissection of an artery, and the hospital’s medical team assesses that the risk of recurrence is very small when the artery has healed.’ 

Prince Joachim of Denmark (pictured in August 2018) underwent emergency brain surgery following a blood clot on Friday but is not expected to suffer any lasting physical injuries, the Danish palace has confirmed

Prince Joachim of Denmark (pictured in August 2018) underwent emergency brain surgery following a blood clot on Friday but is not expected to suffer any lasting physical injuries, the Danish palace has confirmed

It added: ‘It is the doctors’ assessment that Prince Joachim will not have any physical effects or other injuries as a result of the blood clot. 

‘Prince Joachim is expected to be moved out of the intensive care unit as soon as possible but will continue to be hospitalised for some time to come.

‘It is still the hope of the royal family that the media will comply with the desire for peace and respect for privacy.’

Just two days prior, Prince Joachim had been celebrating his second son’s 18th birthday at the Danish royals’ summer residence, Chateau de Cayx in Cahors, in southern France.

Just two days earlier, Prince Joachim had been celebrating his second son's 18th birthday at the Danish royals' summer residence, Chateau de Cayx in Cahors in southern France. Pictured, the prince with his family on the happy occasion

Just two days earlier, Prince Joachim had been celebrating his second son’s 18th birthday at the Danish royals’ summer residence, Chateau de Cayx in Cahors in southern France. Pictured, the prince with his family on the happy occasion

In a previous statement the Palace said: ‘His Royal Highness Prince Joachim was admitted to the University Hospital of Toulouse, France, late last night.

‘The prince was operated on immediately afterwards for a blood clot in the brain and the operation was successful. The condition of His Royal Highness is stable today.

‘The Royal House has no further information at this point in time, but it is the wish of Her Majesty The Queen that the public respects the privacy of the family during the hospitalisation.’

On Wednesday, the prince had marked his son Prince Felix’s 18th birthday, alongside the teenager’s mother and his ex-wife, Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg.

On Friday, the 51-year-old son of Queen Margrethe, who is sixth in line to the throne, was rushed to Toulouse University Hospital (above) in France, where he was immediately operated on

On Friday, the 51-year-old son of Queen Margrethe, who is sixth in line to the throne, was rushed to Toulouse University Hospital (above) in France, where he was immediately operated on

The prince's procedure was 'successful' and his condition is said to be stable, while his wife Princess Marie (pictured together in August 2018), 44, remains by his hospital bedside, according to a Royal Court statement

The prince’s procedure was ‘successful’ and his condition is said to be stable, while his wife Princess Marie (pictured together in August 2018), 44, remains by his hospital bedside, according to a Royal Court statement

The parents were joined by their eldest son Prince Nikolai, 20, and Joachim’s current wife Princess Marie and their two children Prince Henrik, 11, and Princess Athena, eight.

Sharing intimate family photographs to Instagram, the group are seen hugging one another in a group snap.

Prince Joachim of Denmark and his ex-wife, Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg divorced in 2004 after 10 years together – they were Denmark’s first royal split in nearly 160 years.

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie (pictured in September 2019) have two children together Prince Henrik, 11, and Princess Athena, eight

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie (pictured in September 2019) have two children together Prince Henrik, 11, and Princess Athena, eight

The prince, who is the second son of Margrethe and Prince Consort Henrik, is sixth in line to the throne after his elder brother Crown Prince Frederik and his four children with Australian-born Crown Princess Mary.

He has since remarried Paris-born Marie Cavallier, now Princess Marie and the couple have two children together Prince Henrik, 11, and Princess Athena, eight.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

16,985FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe

Must Read

Enormous black Eastern Rat Snake seen at NYC subway stop

A video of an enormous black snake slithering across a New York City subway platform caused quite the stir on social media this weekend...
- Advertisement -

Donald Trump pushes for Portland to bring in National Guard

President Donald Trump returned to weeks of attacks on officials in Portland after another night of street clashes and told them to bring in...

Woman, 91, is arrested over car crash that killed three-year-old boy as he walked with his mother 

An elderly woman has been arrested after her car mounted a pavement and killed a three-year-old boy who was walking with his mother. A red...

Coronavirus Relief Bill: Trump claims Democrats ready for deal

Donald Trump on Monday claimed Democratic leaders Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi want 'to make a deal' on a coronavirus relief package but the...

Related News

Enormous black Eastern Rat Snake seen at NYC subway stop

A video of an enormous black snake slithering across a New York City subway platform caused quite the stir on social media this weekend...

Donald Trump pushes for Portland to bring in National Guard

President Donald Trump returned to weeks of attacks on officials in Portland after another night of street clashes and told them to bring in...

Woman, 91, is arrested over car crash that killed three-year-old boy as he walked with his mother 

An elderly woman has been arrested after her car mounted a pavement and killed a three-year-old boy who was walking with his mother. A red...

Coronavirus Relief Bill: Trump claims Democrats ready for deal

Donald Trump on Monday claimed Democratic leaders Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi want 'to make a deal' on a coronavirus relief package but the...

Guardian Angels patrol New York amid growing safety concerns

The founder of the Guardian Angel's has vowed to have 60 members of their organisation patrolling part of Manhattan amid growing safety concerns.Curtis Sliwa,...
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here