A massive police search for a missing surfer who disappeared in huge swell off a Sydney beach has been called off after the man was found alive.
Police were called after a board rider on a blue surfboard was struggling in a strong current around 200 metres out from Coogee Beach at about 5.10pm on Tuesday.
A witness told police the surfer was close to two other board riders in the dangerous surf conditions in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.
The pair later met with officers and said they didn’t know where the surfer had gone.
Officers searched the beach with the Westpac Rescue Helicopter scanning the water but couldn’t find the surfer and had to suspend the search overnight.
A surfer feared dead after taking on a monster swell at Coogee Beach in Sydney (pictured) has been located
Police confirmed seven surfers were in the water after 5pm but only six were seen leaving the water on CCTV cameras.
‘It is quite possible the surfer left the beach via an area which was not covered by CCTV cameras,’ Acting Inspector Peter Lawlor said on Tuesday.
A Randwick City Lifeguards spokesman confirmed to Daily Mail Australia the missing surfer had been accounted for on Wednesday.
Police confirmed the search was called off on Wednesday, although it’s unclear how or when the man safely made it to the shore.
The Westpac Rescue Helicopter searched for the man on Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning (pictured) but was unable to find him
A hazardous surf warning is in place for Wednesday and Thursday from Byron Bay to Eden as monstrous swells and damaging winds from a deep low pressure system lash the eastern seaboard.
A peak wave height off the Sydney coast overnight reached 11.6metres, with the NSW police marine area command advising people to stay out of the water and avoid surf-exposed areas.
Hazardous surf and wind conditions are set to batter the NSW coast for the next two days